Friday, December 17, 2010

How shall we beguile this lazy time if not with some delight?

Shakespeare.  The mere mention of this esteemed writer brings chills or cheers to a potential reader.  In my case, it was mostly chills as my students were faced with reading A Midsummer Night's Dream.  But I changed my approach this year and I think it went fairly well.  In years past I'd spent about 3-4 weeks reading through the text with student voices, stopping occasionally for lessons about subtext, meter, language, and the like.  But this year I decided, in the interest of time and student attention spans, to listen to a full cast recording of the play complete with sound effects and decent mood music.  Wow, what a difference!  Rather than trudging through the thick plot and antiquated langauge, we blasted through the book in 7 days!  Now, I have a feeling that very few of my kids actually read every single word along with the audio recording, but I think they got a better gist of the story than if we'd read it ourselves.  Admittedly, it was easier on my ears too!  So, with a two-week break ahead of us, we can come back and spend some quality time on those lessons so I'm sure the students can really appreciate the story and the language. 


2 comments:

  1. listening to the book was much more enjoyable than reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, listening to the play made it more time efficient, but personally I enjoy reading plays as a class. While it may be less obnoxious to listen to the professionals read, versus students, I feel that we would gain more reading it as a class. Us reading it would allow us to feel as if we were part of the story.

    ReplyDelete