As I'm putting together the last few weeks of material for my seniors, an upcoming assignment has them accessing a blog, "Pedablogical,"and looking at some news stories relevant to Orwell and Big Brother. The original post is from March 2011 so I've updated the list a bit, stealing story links and perusing the web to find my own. So below is a list of some very recent news stories focusing on the use of technology in the name of safety and conveneince. You be the judge...
1. Behind the Webcam's Watchful Eye Online proctoring at universities is becoming more and more prevalent.
2. Tracking devices in school badges Schools in New Mexico insert RIFD chips into student ID badges that can track location of students at any time.
3. Seattle Clothing Store Runs Without People Shop with your smartphone and robots!
4. Texas School Requires Locator Chips A judge ruled that a school can require students to wear locator chips while on campus, though one refused.
4. Computers That See and Watch Over You Machines are getting more and more advanced in observing and interpreting human behavior.
5. Birthplace of Big Brother Allows Citizen Surveillance Britain is pushing legislation to allow the goverment to monitor all citizens' online activity.